Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Treachery of Beautiful Things Review

384 pages

The trees swallowed her brother whole, and Jenny was there to see it. Now seventeen, she revisits the woods where Tom was taken, resolving to say good-bye at last. Instead, she's lured into the trees, where she finds strange and dangerous creatures who seem to consider her the threat. Among them is Jack, mercurial and magnetic, with secrets of his own. Determined to find her brother, with or without Jack's help, Jenny struggles to navigate a faerie world where stunning beauty masks some of the most treacherous evils, and she's faced with a choice between salvation or sacrifice--and not just her own.

Review:
Honestly when it comes to most fairy novels I don't connect to the stories well for some reason. Something about the way most of them are written just doesn't appeal to me. With that being said, this was an ok novel. I liked the way that the title of the book actually made sense as you read through this story. Jenny isn't the most impressive character to me and I feel like I kept waiting for her to do something to make her a memorable heroine. I was interested in Jack but at the same time he was a little bit too mysterious. I would have liked the characters to have more memorable qualities about them that would make them stand out for me. I did enjoy some of the action but maybe based on my own bias, this novel just wasn't for me. However, this book wasn't badly written so I think if you're a fan of fairy novels then you might enjoy it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment