Friday, March 30, 2012

Becoming Review

295 pages

Every three years, Amber Hopkins explodes. Okay, not a blown-to-smithereens explosion, but whatever it is always hurts like hell and leaves her life a shambles. She’s already worked her way through five foster placements, and she’s doing whatever she can to avoid getting blasted into a sixth. As her eighteenth birthday approaches and she feels the strange and powerful energy building, disaster looms. When the inevitable explosion occurs, her life gets its biggest shakeup yet. She’ll not only learn how her fellow foster and best friend, Gabriel, really feels about her, but she’ll discover that she isn’t really without family. To top it all off, she’ll finally find out why she’s having the power surges: she isn’t entirely human. Amber must Become, transitioning to another plane of existence and risking the loss of the most important relationship she’s ever had. Her choice will impact the future of an entire race of beings, and will pit her against an enemy that will prey upon her doubt to try and take her very life. Kind of makes the explosions now seem like a cakewalk.

Review:
The only reason I finished this book was because I hate not finishing books. I also hate giving bad reviews but I believe in being honest with my readers. This wasn't necessarily a badly written book but I felt absolutely no connection to it whatsoever. There were a lot of different points of views from the characters in this book so at times it was hard to focus on the story. There was also an incredible amount of describing the scenery and surrounds of the characters, so much that it in fact overshadows the story. Amber is a slightly interesting character but I didn't really feel like I got to know her in this story. Even though Amber is supposed to be the main character she basically blends in with the other characters in the book. The mythology behind the book was also a bit confusing. I really wanted to like this book but honestly it wasn't for me at all. I can't recommend this book personally but if you like to read I guess this isn't a terribly bad choice to make.

0 comments:

Post a Comment