Wednesday, March 14, 2012

When the Sea is Rising Red Review

296 pages

After seventeen-year-old Felicita’s dearest friend, Ilven, kills herself to escape an arranged marriage, Felicita chooses freedom over privilege. She fakes her own death and leaves her sheltered life as one of Pelimburg’s magical elite behind. Living in the slums, scrubbing dishes for a living, she falls for charismatic Dash while also becoming fascinated with vampire Jannik. Then something shocking washes up on the beach: Ilven's death has called out of the sea a dangerous, wild magic. Felicita must decide whether her loyalties lie with the family she abandoned . . . or with those who would twist this dark power to destroy Pelimburg's caste system, and the whole city along with it.

Review:
I really thought this book would be completely different and better than it was. It was a little bit of a disappointment. First off it has a kind of historical fiction feel to it and even though I'm a fan of historical fiction it just felt off to me. Felicita was a promising character because she is the type of heroine I love. Felicita is strong, brave and ready for adventure. The people Felicita meets along the way are interesting characters that introduce her to a new type of life. I think that the mystery in the book started out interesting and I actually was interested to see where it went. However, I was a bit confused by the time the end of the book came along, I'm still not sure exactly what happened. Its not that I didn't understand what happened, I just feel like it fell a bit flat and the characters decisions didn't seem in keeping with their character. Besides all of that this was an ok book. I can't necessarily say I recommend it but if you want to read it to pass some time its a good read for that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment