Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Brides of Rollrock Island Review

320 pages

On remote Rollrock Island, men go to sea to make their livings--and to catch their wives. The witch Misskaella knows the way of drawing a girl from the heart of a seal, of luring the beauty out of the beast. And for a price a man may buy himself a lovely sea-wife. He may have and hold and keep her. And he will tell himself that he is her master. But from his first look into those wide, questioning, liquid eyes, he will be just as transformed as she. He will be equally ensnared. And the witch will have her true payment.

Review:
This was a pretty strange novel. The view switched around a lot from different generations of characters throughout time. It was interesting to see how the sea wives were created and the reasoning behind it. I did think that this book was pretty difficult to get into since I didn't really feel a connection to the majority of the characters and the views switched too much to get a handle on any single character. I wish I had been able to see more of Misskaella's view because she was the only character that I can say really drew an interest from me. I think that if the writing style had been different I would have definitely enjoyed this book more. Mostly everything moved super slow and there wasn't much action to help keep the story flowing. Other than that I enjoyed the ideas in the book and the general magic of Rollrock Island. I would recommend this novel to those who like paranormal mythology books and don't mind a book with relatively little to no action.

0 comments:

Post a Comment